Wednesday, February 21, 2018

At the Beginning of Lent

To all my fellow Orthodox Christians; to all faithful Catholics, Anglicans, Lutherans, Episcopalians, Methodists, and all who remember the season of Lent.

May this Lenten season truly be a time of renewed devotion: of prayer, fasting, and almsgiving. A time of repentance, a real renewal of minds, hearts and deeds in conformity with Christ and his teachings. Most of all, of return to the great commandments of loving God and neighbors.


As our Father among the Saints Patrick of Ireland has said,
Christ with me, Christ before me,
Christ behind me, Christ in me,
Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
Christ in breadth, Christ in length, Christ in height,
Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of every man who speaks of me,
Christ in every eye that sees me, Christ in every ear that hears me.

God be merciful to me, a sinner.

4 comments:

  1. I wonder how it would be handled in the far future sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My supposition is that Lenten observance will change very little. Orthodoxy at least is not fond of innovation in its doctrine or devotional practice.

      Delete
    2. Kind of like the priests in The Fifth Element then. They stuck to their faith and traditions, even while technology advanced.

      Delete
    3. Most things of this sort I imagine would persist. 2,000 years on not much has changed today.

      Delete